Friday, September 14, 2012

Fantasy as Rhetoric



“I have [discussed] the difference between concrete objects and visual representations of those objects, but rhetorical images do not necessarily have to portray an object, or even a class of objects, that exists or ever did exist. A picture of a unicorn can carry meaning because the viewer has been exposed to other representations of unicorns, both visual and verbal, and can associate the new representation with memories of those encountered previously. And, like words, visual representations can stand in for abstract ideas” (Hill, 115). 

I chose this quote from Hill’s essay “Reading the Visual in College Writing Classes” as the most provocative quote so far because it directly coincides with my research interests: fantasy as rhetorical. The quote is provocative, for me, in two senses. First, it is exciting because it appears to validate my conviction that fantasy is, or can be, rhetorical. It touches, however briefly and unwittingly, on an area of rhetorical study that hasn’t really been dealt with in any significant way, to my knowledge. However, in another respect I’m puzzled by what Hill has to say here. He seems to be arguing that fantasy cannot act as a rhetorical agent unless the recipient has previous associations with the visual. In my own studies, I’ve looked at the ways in which fantasy might act as an agent of rhetorical invention. I define fantasy as a subordinate faculty to the larger imaginative faculty that produces novel images which not only don’t exist but could never exist in reality as we know it. There is much more to be said about the distinction I see between fantasy and imagination (or, how I define imagination) and how fantasy acts as invention, but for my purposes here, it would be diversion to go into it. What I’m really concerned with is Hill’s idea that a visual cannot be rhetorical to an audience unless that audience has previous similar associations. I don’t mean that I doubt the idea that the more we can associate visuals with experience from seeing and reading similar visuals, the more meaning we can derive. That seems evident enough. If I see a picture of a unicorn, I immediately think of a genre of visuals—namely, fantasy—and am keyed to a kind of message, by virtue of that genre, that will be conveyed. Yet, why can’t completely new visuals be rhetorical? Hill says further down on page 115 that the meaning of unfamiliar visual symbols will depend upon how much meaning the viewer is willing to assign to it. But what of visual depictions of fantastic objects (or, again, those objects that cannot be found in reality)? To make my line of thinking less abstract let me go back to Hill’s unicorn example: is a unicorn not rhetorical for someone who has never seen a unicorn? What amount of information does someone need to know before the visual becomes rhetorical? For instance, must one know that it does not and cannot actual exist? Then does it become rhetorical? In what ways will an unfamiliar fantastic image be rhetorical? Of course, like Hill says, it first and foremost depends on how it is received by the viewer—as with any visually rhetorical image.  I don’t have answers to any of my questions, just more questions. 

After all my talk about unicorns, I couldn't resist. This is rhetorical, right?

2 comments:

  1. As what I discussed that gripped me most (among many other things), I see your quote revolves around what's real and what's not. I found myself drawn to Berger making assertions about photographs being "irrefutable proof" of something, and found it problematic in the same sense as you--what happens when something's not real? Games are inherently visual, true, but they are not "real" in the same sense as something like a photograph, and when they're not modeled after something that's meant to be or seem real, it's very much a case of fantasy. So, then, how do we make sense of the imagined/imaginary in the realm of photography and visual rhetoric? When these things can be manipulated and seen differently in any number of ways by any number of people? Also, I think the image there would have been more rhetorical had it been My Little Pony as those things have really taken off in the last year or so. I have to assume there's a My Little Pony unicorn. You missed the boat, man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. James, I'm wondering if we react the way you mentioned- "immediately think of a genre of visuals—namely, fantasy—and am keyed to a kind of message, by virtue of that genre, that will be conveyed"- to a picture of a unicorn because we already know it is fantasy? For example, Aimee talks in her post about showing a picture of a cat vs. the word cat in a different language, and how someone who speaks Japanese wouldn't understand the term "cat" but would understand a picture of a cat. I'm thinking, while they may understand the picture of a cat better than the term "cat", if they had never seen a cat before, or heard about an animal that looks and behaves the way a cat does, what is to stop them from thinking this image she is showing them is from the fantasy realm and react as they do to that genre? A cat may be believable enough to trust someone that it is a real thing, even if they have never heard of one or seen one, but there are some real animals (since we are talking cats and unicorns here) that one might certainly think are from a fantasy world if one only saw an image of one. This website has some great examples : http://www.totallytop10.com/lifestyle/animals-pets/top-10-weidest-looking-sea-creatures ( the one you should really check out in regards to this post is the 2nd one- the narwhal, "the unicorn of the sea"). If you saw a picture of that, especially without someone being able to explain it to you in your language, you may think it is a fictional creature- especially if the image was the one on the website, where it is shown WITH a unicorn. So, I guess really all that I'm doing with this example is complicating your discussion about what Hill meant.... I do agree with you that it seems that an image could be rhetorical even if it was the first time you had seen that image before. I think it does change the effect if you already have previous associations about that image, such as the unicorn. I'm especially interested in your post because of its connection to my post about creating reality through fantasies. (Not exactly the same type of fantasy you are talking about here, as unicorns are fictional creatures for example) but still, the idea about a sort of reality being created when you see something for the first time. I guess my point is, if it is the first time you are seeing it, whether it is fantasy or not, you may think it is fantasy, or vice versa. The question arises of the purpose and the situation that you saw or were shown the image, and whether or not that makes it rhetorical. I think?

    ReplyDelete