Thursday, September 6, 2012

"Image as Counter-History"

The image I chose, the album cover for Rage Against the Machine's Evil Empire, intrigued me for a variety of reasons.  For starters, to understand the images intended effect, I believe the words "Evil Empire" are a necessity: without them, the image does not nearly have the same impact.  This image appears to be drawing from a historical tradition, yet it proffers a "counter-history," so to speak. 

Released in 1996, it came after the end of the Cold War, the fall of the Berlin Wall, etc.  However,  speaking to the band's political ideology (they are heavily influenced by Communist philosophy although I would not go as far as to say that they support many of the Communist dictatorships, a charge frequently leveled at them), the words "Evil Empire" are juxtaposed with a rather American looking youth.  He has the classic blue-eyed, clean-cut look we think of as the quintessential American boy, but his sinister smile and the use of red for his clothing seem to be alluding to him being possibly villainous.  This calls into question the common idea of America being a universal symbol of "right" and "good" throughout its history.  The term "Evil Empire," usually attributed to the USSR and made famous by Ronald Reagan, created a rather distinct binary of good vs. evil in Cold War rhetoric.  This image seems to be attempting to dissolve that binary, possibly suggesting that America is not as innocent or morally pure as we might like to believe.

I like this image because of its controversial stance and the way it makes you contemplate previously held values.  By placing an American youth with the words "Evil Empire," you are forced to reexamine previously held ideologies and beliefs.  The image is shocking and attempts to persuade you of a possible counter-history-- one that does not portray America as an innocent force for justice.

However, this question also raises three interesting questions for me:

1.  How reliant is the image on the words?  Without "Evil Empire" written underneath, does the image have any semblance of the same meaning?  What would you make of this image without the text?

2.  What effect does the image being an illustration as opposed to a photograph have?  I found a picture of the boy who served as the model grown-up online, so obviously the band could have chosen to just take a picture of him instead.  How does the medium of illustration as opposed to photography affect the meaning?  I struggled with this mightily.

3.  Does anyone else interpret this image in a different manner?  What do yo make of it? 


3 comments:

  1. The interpretation of rock and roll albums is interesting. I wonder what comes first in the interpretation -- the album cover without the band, the cover in the context of the band, or both of them in a dialogue. Without some prior knowledge, I wouldn't even know what empire they are referring to. I would have to know that they were an American band to come close to their meaning. Maybe after hearing their '92 release, I could take a stab at meaning.

    Illustration seems to be more produced than photo. It is another layer that separates image and something that we might be able to perceive. I think that it adds to the idea of manufacturing. Or, it might be aesthetic. It looks like Americanic art. And since their subject matter is Americana, maybe they are conveying something else - we are as American as apple pie. That might be a personal feeling surfacing.

    On a side note, if you can't tell, this band has been an important part of my adolescence. I have two photos of Tom Morello hanging in my room from the show in Germany at the Battle tour.

    They were shot by this guy: http://www.seanmoormanphoto.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jacob,

    Awesome that you are a Rage fan! I have seen them twice. Once in Philadelphia for the Battle of Los Angeles tour and in San Francisco when they reunited for four concerts (I got lucky I was living out there at the time). Experiencing them live is an experience words cannot describe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bruce,

    Bulls on Parade! I used to love Rage, though I didn't listen to this album as much as their first one. Fit right in with my teenage angst.

    I think you bring up an interesting issue with question #1. I would say that the image without the text "Evil Empire" under it would retain at least a semblance of the meaning it conveys now. That is, as long as you keep the band's name at the top. Their name is such in nature that the juxtaposing of this kind of 60s (?) era art with the associations/interpretation conjured by the words "Rage Against the Machine" would suggest at least a dissatisfaction with some institution. I think the image without any text would go right over my head without some more contextualization.

    I generally agree with your interpretation. I will add that perhaps the image, in showing this sinister looking young boy, is suggesting that the American Empire produces crooked or evil people (whereas youth is generally associated with innocence).

    Ryan

    ReplyDelete